About School of Business
Welcome to School of Business!
School of Business of Chittagong Independent University was established with a view to empowering the students through holistic and inventive education that equips them with skills, widens their perspectives, and teaches them to challenge the present and stimulate economic development. We prepare our students to advance their careers and bring momentous social impact through entrepreneurship and innovation..
To emerge as a "Center of Excellence" in business education by developing innovative and ethical leaders.
To provide quality education responsive to the critical needs of business enterprises in the context of global challenges.
— Excellence through continuous improvement;
— Effective entrepreneurial implementation of ideas;
— Research, innovation and creative thinking;
— Cooperation though nurturing and collaboration;
— Intellectual, professional and ethical development of our students;
— Mutual respect through effective communication;
— Building partnerships with stakeholders.
The School of Business started its journey in 1999 under the then Independent University Bangladesh (IUB), Chittagong Campus. The erstwhile Chittagong Campus of IUB applied for functioning as an autonomous University and received its approval from the Ministry of Education of Government of Bangladesh and UGC as a full-fledged University on February 6, 2013 under the name of Chittagong Independent University (CIU). Since its inception, the School has been playing a pivotal role as a center of excellence for producing capable human resources for the country.
Over the years, School of Business of CIU has selected a highly qualified group of faculty members. Whose academic background and work experience span almost every continent of the globe. It is a distinctive feature of School of Business that we have full time PhD Faculty members in every major area of the Business School showing the level of commitment to our students and the community. Our faculty members are highly dedicated and are selected on the basis of academic excellence, research ability and industry experience. Senior Faculty members continuously conduct workshops, seminars and trainings to groom their junior counterparts. The School also encourages them to team up with senior faculty members and publish research and industry papers. For this reason, every Faculty member within Business School publishes several journal papers, participate in international conferences, write trade papers, participate in international conferences, write trade papers, and serve on the editorial boards of various national and international journals.
- Most of the full time faculty members have their degrees from USA, UK, Australia and renowned Institutions;
- Full time PhD Faculty members for every major area of the School such as Accounting, Finance and Economics, Management and HRM, Marketing and MIS;
- Faculty Student Ratio of 1:25 is maintained to ensure high quality of teaching and learning;
- A true academic atmosphere where faculty members publish in reputed international journals, take part in international conferences and serve as editors;
- Co-Editors and Reviewers for top quality national and international peer reviewed journals;
- Strong focus on the development of teamwork and leadership competencies to create high performing organizations;
- Each course includes group projects as a learning tool, so the ability to lead and work in a group environment is developed;
- Students are encouraged and expected to assume leadership roles in all School activities;
- Small class size to emphasize on effective teaching and supervision;
- Continuous focus on workshops, seminars and training sessions by renowned academics and Professionals from home and abroad;
- Vibrant culture with various student clubs and active participation in these clubs;
- Strong network with professional and accreditation bodies of the word, viz. Association to advance Collegiate Schools of Business (AACSB). American Marketing Association (AMA), American management Association. Chartered Institute of Business School (CIBS), Marketing Science Institute (MSI), European Foundation for management Development (EFMD), Australia and New Zealand Marketing Academy (ANZMAC) and Association of management Development Institutions in South Asia (AMDISA);
- The School offers a suite of contemporary and relevant courses that are recognized by major industry accreditation bodies across disciplines including Accounting, Finance, Human Resource management, it and Marketing.
The School of Business is on the continuous pursuit to establish collaborations with reputed international universities, professional bodies, research institutions. The nature of collaborations encompasses student and faculty and exchanges, joint research, partnerships, seminars & conference. We have already established collaborations with the following institutions:
• Middle Tennessee State university MTSU), Tennessee, USA
• Association of Chartered Certified Accountants (ACCA)
• Indian Institute of Management, Ranchi, India (IIM Ranchi)
• Rennes School Business (RSB), Rennes, France
The School of Business of CIU has been producing the best business and social leaders for Chittagong and rest country. The graduate of this School not only excels in the industry but are also pursuing PhD Degrees in leading business Schools of the world. Independent University Alumni Association (IUAA) is one of the most diverse alumni network in the country. The vibrant IUAA keeps this highly diversified group in constant touch with each other and the university. As the School has a pool of well established alumni in the corporate world, the fresh graduates of the School enjoy tremendous support during their transition from university to industry with respect to internship placement, employment, reference, and career guidance. Beside annual conventions and similar collegial events, IUAA holds seminars and workshops on topical issues on a regular basis.