Certificate Course on Customs Management
About CIU Business School
The CIU Business School started its journey in 1999 under the then Independent University Bangladesh (IUB), Chittagong Campus. The erstwhile Chittagong Campus of IUB applied for functioning as an autonomous University and received its approval from the Ministry of Education of Government of Bangladesh and UGC as a full-fledged University on February 6, 2013 under the name of Chittagong Independent University (CIU). Since inception, the CIU Business School has been playing a pivotal role in producing dynamic, innovative and effective human resources for the country chasing its vision to emerge as a "Center of Excellence" in business education and thus contribute to the overall socio economic development of the country.
Background of the Course
Foreign trade plays a vital role in the economic development of Bangladesh. Although the average GDP growth rate of Bangladesh has been hovering between 5 to 6 per cent since 1980, it reached tremendously to 7.28 per cent in 2016-17 financial years. One of the catalysts behind this is that the economy of Bangladesh has become foreign trade centric. This has created a dearth of professionals having extensive knowledge on customs operations, regulations and other formalities which results in corruptions, bureaucratic tangles and ultimately higher costs of goods and services.
In this scenario, CIU Business School has taken this commendable initiative to promote education for enhancing transparency and accountability in the major areas of taxation in Bangladesh covering income tax, value added tax and customs in collaboration with National Board of Revenue (NBR), Bangladesh. The first step towards that is the “Certificate Course on Customs Management” which has been thoughtfully designed to equip participants with necessary knowledge and tools on customs management.
- Basic concept on Micro, Macro Economics and Supply Chain Security. Indirect tax policy in Bangladesh.
- Structure and functions of National Board of Revenue (NBR) and the area of customs department in Bangladesh.
- Fiscal Policy in Bangladesh. The prevailing customs legislations, rules and other allied acts pertaining to import and export procedures
- Customs procedure codes (CPC), Import Policy Order 2015-2018, Export Policy Order 2015-2018. Inco terms & Intellectual Property Rights.
- The types of customs related forms, papers and its uses (eg-B/E, Invoice, PL....).
- The types of customs facilities in relation to the importation and exportation of goods-(Duty/Tax exemption, direct release of goods and Duty/Tax refund and drawback claims rules of origin Etc.)
- The import-export procedures and documentation (LC open to goods release).
- Auction procedure in customs.
- The type of offences and penalties under prevailing customs legislation. Risk Management & Money Laundering.
- General Rules for the Interpretation of the Harmonized System & 1st schedule.
- Impose on different types of duty, its calculation and valuation of goods under customs assessment including provisional assessment.
- Physical inspection method of import & export cargo and non-intrusive inspection (NII).
- Automation system in customs (Asycuda World System).
- Baggage Rules, postal appraisement & Airport related matters.
- Bond management.
- Licensing Rules (C&F Agent, Shipping Agent, Freight Forward), related to customs.
- Port Management.
- Activities & Function of EPZ, Off Dock.
Total Duration :- 50 Hours
Class Based Lecture :- 45 Hours
Field visit to Customs House & Jetty Area :- 4 Hours
Evaluation :- 1 Hour
Course Schedule:- Every Friday and Saturday from 6 pm to 9 pm.
Course Fee:- Tk. 15,000 per participant.
Payment Mode:-Pay Order in favor of Chittagong Independent University.
Instructors:-Senior Officers of Chittagong Customs House.
Who should participate?This course is designed for those who need in-depth knowledge and skills on customs management irrespective of different organizations and sectors. This will also help to build career in customs management as it focuses on every single issue of customs management to a greater extent.
VenueCIU Business School, Chittagong Independent University, Roksana Manzil, Building-1 (Behind Chittagong Press Club), Jamal Khan Lane, Chittagong-4000.
For Registration and more information please contact
Admission & Information Center
Ground Floor, Minhaj Complex
12, Jamal Khan Road, Chittagong
+88-031-622946, 636484, 02333352926, 02333351262; Ext: 109