Institute of Governance, Development and International Studies (IGDIS)
Chittagong Independent University (CIU) established a non- teaching research institute to conduct research, training programs, short term certificate programs for the professional, non-professional and academic personnel in the areas of Governance, Development and International Studies since 2017.
- Research - To conduct research in the areas of local and national governance in Bangladesh; development issues at local, national, regional, and international level and the contemporary international affairs.
- Policy Prescriptions - To prescribe policy to the local and national governments, to corporate houses, and to the regional and international organizations in the above noted areas.
- Training - To impart training to various national, regional and local government leaders, officials, NGO workers, officials of academic organization's and corporate officials.
A warm welcome to the Institute of Governance, Development, and International Studies (IGDIS) website of Chittagong Independent University (CIU), Bangladesh!
As a non-teaching institute, IGDIS started its journey in 2017 to conduct research, offer policy prescriptions, and impart training in governance, development, and international relations. Since its inception, our institute has been dedicated to fostering excellence in governance, development, and international studies. We believe in equipping our stakeholders with the knowledge, skills, and perspectives necessary to tackle the complex challenges of our rapidly changing global landscape.
We also organize seminars, symposiums, webinars, and talks on various important issues of the contemporary world. We are ready to collaborate with any national and international institutions, donor agencies, think tanks, and the broader community to explore new knowledge horizons and contribute to a brighter future.
Looking forward, IGDIS aims to remain at the cutting edge of rigorous research and become a valuable bridge among social scientists, policymakers, bureaucrats, corporate leaders, technological innovators, and civil society representatives in and beyond Bangladesh.
Mir Mohammed Nurul Absar, PhD
- To identify problems and issues in the areas of governance (public/ private/ corporate), environmental, economic, international relations, legal and policy matters;
- To conduct qualitative and quantitative research on the above mentioned areas;
- To organize seminars, workshops, interactive dialogue, colloquium about local, national, regional and international issues;
- To publish occasional papers, research based books and journals;
- To provide research fellowship to graduate students to conduct research.
- To design and offer training and short term certificate programs.
IGDIS has established collaboration with Seoul National University Asia Center (SNUAC), South Korea
The collaboration aims at:
- Encouraging exchanges and visits for faculty members, researchers, and post-graduate fellows.
- Organizing joint conference and research activities.
- Enhancing network for future potential research collaborations.
To introduce Masters Program in Governance, Development Studies and International Affairs.
- Fresh graduates with masters in any discipline interested in pursuing careers in national and international public services;
- NGO executives;
- Local and National govt. officers;
- Corporate Executives of Multi-national and Regional Organizations.
January, 16, 2018
Climate Change and Migration: Bangladesh and South Asia Perspective
Dr. Alice Baillat
Associate Research Fellow, The French Institute of International and Strategic Affairs(IRIS).
Development Partnership in Middle Income Countries (MICs)-The Transition Issues: A Case Study of Bangladesh
Syed Sajjadur Rahman
Senior Fellow, School of International Development and Global Studies University of Ottawa
Facing Critical Governance Challenges in Bangladesh: An overview
Mohammad Mohabbat Khan, PhD
Retired Professor, Department of Public Administration, University of Dhaka
Former Member, University Grants Commission of Bangladesh and Bangladesh Public Service Commission
January, 17, 2019
Social Entrepreneurship in Universities: Unleashing its potentials
Syed Mahmudul Huq
Member, BOT, CIU
October, 27, 2019
Contemporary issues in the foreign relations of BangladeshAmbassador M. Serajul Islam
Ambassador M. Serajul Islam
Rethinking Development, Globalization and Governance
Ahmed Shafiqul Hoque
Professor, Department of Political Science, McMaster University, Canada.
February, 27, 2020
Comprehensive City Development: Strategies and Challenges
Professor Nirmala Rao, OBE, FAcSS
Vice Chancellor, AUW
S M Ashraful Islam
Executive chairman, eGeneration Group and former Additional Secretary, Government of the People’s Republic of Bangladesh
November, 28, 2021
Public Financial Management Framework in Bangladesh
Mr. Mohammad Muslim Chowdhury
Comptroller and Auditor General of Bangladesh
February, 2, 2023
Next Generation Business Executives - A Global Perspective
Knowledge sharing seminar on “Next Generation Business Executives - A Global Perspective” jointly organized by Institute of Governance, Development, &
Int'l Studies (IGDIS), Chittagong Independent University, and Bangladesh Center of Excellence (BCE) of Chittagong Chamber of Commerce & Industries.
Dr. Abhilash S Nair
Professor, Indian Institute of Management, Kozhikode (IIMK), India.
May 31, 2023
Presentation on Maternal Health Voucher Scheme of Bangladesh: Lessons for Future Policy Directions in Maternal Health
Institute of Governance, Development, and International Studies (IGDIS), Chittagong Independent University (CIU) organized a program titled 'Maternal Health Voucher Scheme of Bangladesh: Lessons for Future Policy Directions in Maternal Health’ on 31 May 2023 at CIUBS Building.
Dr. M. Mahmud Khan
Professor, Department of Health Policy and Management, University of Georgia, Athens.
June, 24, 2021
Win: How public Entrepreneurship Can Change the Developing World
Dr. Fouzul Kabir Khan
Former Secretary, Government of Bangladesh and Founder CEO, IDCOL
September, 25, 2021
Covid management measures taken around the world that Bangladesh can additionally follow to better resolve its current and future pandemic situations
November, 07, 2019
Higher Education, Economic Development and Garment Industry in Bangladesh and Korea.
Seoul National University Asia Center (SNUAC)
10:00-10:30: OpeningSooJin Park(Director of SNUAC)
Mahfuzul Hoque Chowdhury (Vice Chancellor of Chittagong Independent University)
Kihak Sung (Chairman and CEO of Youngone Corporation)
10:30-12:00: Higher Education in Bangladesh and KoreaMahfuzul Hoque Chowdhury, Quazi Mostain Billah and M M Nurul Absar (Chittagong Independent University)
Role of Private Universities in Higher Educationin Bangladesh and Possible Areas of Cooperation between Chittagong Independent University and Seoul National University.
Jooyong Park (Seoul National University)
How to Balance Learning and Thinking in College Classrooms
13:30-15:00: Economic Development in Bangladesh and KoreaMahfuzul Hoque Chowdhury and M M Nurul Absar (Chittagong Independent University)
SDGs Implementation Challenges for Bangladesh: Lessons from Republic of Korea
Se-Jik Kim (Seoul National University)
Korean Economic Growth: Past Glory and Challenges Ahead
15:30-17:00: Garment Industry in Bangladesh and KoreaMohammad Nayeem Abdullah and Syed Manzur Quader (Chittagong Independent University)
Ready Made Garments(RMG) Sector in Bangladesh: How South Korea Can Assist Bangladesh to Prepare for the 21st Century Challenges?
Joonkoo Lee(Hanyang University)and Hyunji Kwon (Seoul National University)
Bangladesh, Korea and the Future of Asian Apparel Production Networks in a Volatile World
Expansion and Profitability of Bank Branches: A Study on Selected Rural Branches of BangladeshSyed Manzur Quader, Mohammad Nayeem Abdullah, Nahin Israt Shamsi
Published at Macroeconomics and Finance in Emerging Market Economies (Volume 13, 2020 - Issue 3) by Routhledge, Taylor & Francis Group
India’s NRC, CAA may take Bangladesh closer to ChinaEmon Kalyan Chowdhury
Published at Diverse Asia by SNUAC
Sovereignty of Bangladesh and China’s ‘One Belt, One Road’ ProjectMohammad Belayet Hossain
Published at Diverse Asia by SNUAC
Belt and Road Initiative and China’s “Love” for Bangladesh: What Bangladesh Could Actually Expect from it.Iffat Ishrat Khan
Published at Diverse Asia by SNUAC
- Institute of Governance, Development, and International Studies (IGDIS) at Chittagong Independent University and The Center for South Asian Studies (CSAS), Asia Center at Seoul National University, Seoul have started a joint research on "The Future of RMG Industry of Bangladesh Confronting Covid-19 and Industry 4.0: A Multi-Level Disaster Analysis" from 1st November, 2020.
- Dr. Syed Manzur Quader and Ms. Iffat Ishrat Khan from CIU and Professor Sung Yong Kang and Dr. Lee Myung-Moo from SNU are the participating researchers in this one year long project and it is funded by Seoul National University Asia Center(SNUAC).